Monday 26 January 2009

Some Fun Stuff

I just like these, I think I may have gone o.t.t with contrast and colour fill, but nevermind, maybe I'll go back and reprocess the RAW images later. For now, I'm content with them. Personally I really like my photographs to be full of colour - almost bursting - or faded and washed out. I really can't stand the in between area of slightly dull, or slightly colourful. 



The blue might be too much for some, and some may not like the lens flare, but I do. I like the contrast between the upper half of the photo and the lower half. The lens flare seems to reflect quite nicely how bright the sun actually was. 



I really wish I had a wide angle lens :(. Due to where those trees are situated in conjunction with other foliage and structures I couldn't really move all that much from where I was. It's a shame because I'd have loved to have had the two trees detached, with only the foliage and structures underneath their canopy's visible. Hey-ho, you win some you loose some!

5 comments:

  1. The blue is utterly stunning. How did you get that effect; are you using PhotoShop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't, though I do have previous experience with Photoshop, through other endeavours. I was in-fact using the software provided with my 450D, by Canon.

    One of my friends suggested I shoot my images in RAW (can change this setting in your Camera's menu I think) I opted to shoot with RAW + L. Which is the RAW data the cmaera see's, BEFORE it processes the image as a jpeg, which is the L (high qual. jpegs, on the Canon camera's)

    The benefit being, that you can later process the images and use digital exposure compensation, etc to change the look of the picture. It's great, you can change white balance, contrast, colour-tone and some other stuff - even sharpen some images.

    If you don't have the software, I can lend you the disk (or Kate can, as it's in my room somewhere at home) for you to install it.

    Alternatively, you could use a program that is similar to photoshop, not as good for advanced things but still a very capable application, which is The Gimp (find @ www.gimp.org). It's open source and 100% free, despite the name, it's legit and not a joke, I promise!

    Sorry for the long winded reply, but I thought you'd appreciate hearing about a few different options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No - that's perfect! And I'd heard about Gimp; hee hee hee! I have looked at the software that comes with my camera but for some reason it only seems to give tips rather than actually allow any photo editing. Weird. Will have to have a look when I'm not so tired from work. In any case, I've been using RAW and RAW + L so I'll have a play at some point this weekend. Yay for camera geekiness! I look forward to your next post (and my further procrastination as a consequence).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. If you have the disk, install the Canon utilities, open zoom browser EX and select the photo you want to edit in RAW, (it will be apparent) and then right click "Process RAW image". You can hold ctrl, and select as many images as you like, to process in one go, obviously only selecting the RAW image files.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Will have a go tomorrow. Have managed to get a copy of the PhotoShop basics and have downloaded GIMP, too. Not sure there are any utilities on the CD but I suppose I should probably try to get to grips with PhotoShop ASAP.

    My brother put me on to this site: http://www.worth1000.com/

    It's a PhotoShop competition site which, while I am never going to be anywhere near good enough to do this, is really awesome to take a gander at!

    Speak soon. x

    ReplyDelete